College students should consider naming Mom or Dad as Health Care Surrogate

As students head off to college for the new school year, they and their parents should consider having the student (if over the age of 18 years) sign a Designation of Health Care Surrogate which would allow physicians and other health care providers to disclose the students medical condition and authorize the parents to consent to treatment if their student should be incapacitated to the extent that he or she cannot give informed consent for treatment.